South Tampa’s historic Himes House is now for sale
The massive home of William Fraser Himes, the namesake for Himes Avenue, is now on the market in South Tampa.
Located at 801 S. Delaware Ave., the home was built in 1909 by the prominent local attorney, and over the years has been known as the "Himes-Griffin House," because it was later acquired by another local notable, Jas. A. Griffin, who was the president of The Exchange National Bank of Tampa.
The three-story, red brick Queen Anne Revival sits on three lots, and was actually restored to its former glory in 2006, but still retains much of the original charm, including hardwood floors throughout, a crystal chandelier, stained glass, eight fireplaces, and third floor ballroom. The 9,431-square-foot mansion comes with seven-bedrooms, six-and-a-half bathrooms, and also features a pool, and a detached two car garage with a guest apartment above it.
In his time, Himes was a well-known attorney in the area, and even served on Tampa City Council. from 1906-1907. In the early 1920s, Himes was a lawyer for a developer building the Gray Gables Subdivision, who later named the major throughway, Himes Avenue, in his honor.
The home is currently asking $6,200,000, and the listing agent is Dennis Paull of Berkshire Hathaway.
Photos via Realtor.com